How Your Mission is Different
To resurrect an old phrase, The Rescue Mission of the Mahoning Valley is much more than just “three hots and a cot.” While we do provide food and overnight shelter to the homeless and others in need, that is only the beginning of our work.
Our goal is to help those who find themselves in difficult circumstances, regardless of how they got there, transform their lives and become independent and self-sustaining citizens again.
To achieve this goal, we offer our emergency shelter clients guidance, education and job placement services within the Mission, as well as referrals to many additional programs in the Youngstown area.
Here are some of the many ways Rescue Mission of the Mahoning Valley is different:
- The Rescue Mission is the only emergency shelter in Mahoning County delivering people from despair, helping them to find hope for tomorrow.
- We are non-discriminatory in our practices. The Rescue Mission provides goods and services to anyone seeking help.
- We help young mothers, fathers and couples with small children get past their physiological needs and teach them vital life and parenting skills.
- Purposeful case management sees to it that all of our clients get to the right agencies at the right time with the right information to better position them for positive reentry into the community.
- Rescue Mission of the Mahoning Valley accepts no government funding. Our work is funded entirely by generous individuals, businesses, churches and foundations.